Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Spirit of Marathon

Been watching a lot of marathon videos on Youtube and the images of superbly fit people pounding away on the road have been completely ingrained in my mind. I go to sleep to the sound of the feet striking the ground, I wake up thinking about the weekly schedule, I ice my injuries all day just to run again and get back to the same pains.

One such great movie is The Spirit of Marathon. A must watch, it is about several people spread across the globe who are training to run at the Chicago Marathon.

Have changed my strategy from doing one long run every weekend and recovering for the rest of the days to running 4 days in a week. One of the veterans from Hyderabad Runners gave me a piece of his mind saying that I might as well forget about finishing the marathon if I don’t start running at least 3-4 days in a week. So, have started following Hal Higdon’s schedule that gradually increases the distance to be run in a week. It starts with a comfortable 25-30kms to be run in a week that gradually increases all the way to around 60 kms during the week of the marathon. The distances on Wednesdays and Sundays keep increasing with around 5 kms to be run on the other days.

No comments:

Post a Comment